REPORTS TO: Assistant Director/Teen Center
GENERAL FUNCTION: The Culinary Instructor provides instruction in the area of food preparation, while teaching and maintaining proper food safety and sanitation standards. The Culinary Instructor is responsible for coordinating the culinary program, volunteers, and participating Boys & Girls Clubs of Broward County members.
Must have ability to demonstrate proper food preparation techniques and have working knowledge of commercial kitchens, develop and execute programs, and possess the knowledge base and demonstrated skills to instruct others.
Must have ability to:
• Direct and supervise the work of staff, volunteers and members involved in the culinary program.
• Enforce BGCBC policies and safety protocols around this program.
• Create and implement age-appropriate programming.
• Effectively teach members new food preparation skills and inspire interest in the culinary arts.
- Stimulate interest and participation of members in areas related to the culinary program.
- Maintain kitchen efficiency and cleanliness, program supplies, equipment upkeep and maintenance.
- Purchase culinary food & supplies, within approved budget, as needed.
- Complete food temperature checks before service.
- Encourage member participation in programs, including fundraisers and Boys & Girls Clubs of Broward County events.
- Prepare and serve food for special functions as assigned.
- Drive company vehicles on college & career readiness tours related culinary arts and hospitality.
- Facilitate member completion of ServSafe certification in safe food preparation.
- Develop a positive atmosphere among the members toward achieving academic and social goals.
- Track member participation in culinary programming.
- Report deliverables for grants related to workforce development and/or culinary arts.
- Knowledge of equipment operation used in performance of the Culinary Instructor role.
QUALIFICATIONS/REQUIREMENTS: Bachelor’s degree preferred with a major concentration in food preparation, management, nutrition, or related field. Working knowledge of culinary services, including food preparation, nutrition, and the food service industry.
Position also requires:
- CPR/First Aid training and maintain current certification.
- Certification as ServSafe Instructor/Proctor able to instruct, and certify members who complete ServSafe training.
- Training in universal precautions and safe work practices
- Training in fire safety and proper use of fire extinguisher.
- Maintain a safe driving record
- Ability to formulate proposals, needs lists, and prepares accurate cost projections.
- Possess knowledge of development stages in youth and plan programs accordingly.
- High level of energy, endurance and patience is required.
- Comfortable working with different personalities in a confined and informal environment.
- Good reasoning abilities and sound judgment.
- Ability to address and de-escalate crisis.
- Ability to lead, train, direct and motivate volunteers and members.
- Exceptional customer service skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to display a positive attitude and professional demeanor at all times.
ENVIRONMENTAL AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The majority of work will be conducted in a commercial kitchen and/or classroom
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
Physical requirements include ability to stand, reach, lift, bend, kneel, stoop, climb, push, and pull items weighing 50 pounds or less; manual dexterity; auditory and visual skills; ability to follow written and oral instructions and procedures. Manage multiple tasks with varying deadlines.
EFFECT ON END RESULTS:
Ensure a safe fun environment for members to learn and grow.
Pay Range: $17-$19