RESPONSIBLE TO: Senior Director of Development and Corporate Relations
The Grant Writer will primarily be responsible for developing and writing grant proposals to foundations and other grant-making organizations and will persuasively communicate BGCBC’s mission and programs to potential funders. It works directly with key staff members in Administration and Programs. This position requires the research of available grants and will represent the Development Department and the Boys & Girls Clubs of Broward County.
- Proactively seeks new funding opportunities for the organization.
- Prepares and monitors grant calendar.
- Develop, write, and submit grant proposals to foundations and other grant-making organizations, persuasively communicating the organization’s mission and programs to potential funders.
- Collaborate with Finance and VP of Program Operations to prepare budgets, cases for support, program briefs and data that demonstrate the value and impact of our organization.
- Establish and maintain personal contact and relationships with foundation contacts and program officers.
- Attend community meetings and networking opportunities.
- Ensure timely submission of letters of inquiry, proposals, and grant reports.
- Review lapsed funders through grant files to identify potential opportunities.
- Prioritize projects and keep multiple projects moving in a timely manner, meet deadlines and manage supplemental materials required for proposals.
- Coordinates actions with Senior Director or Development and Corporate Relations and colleagues to plan work, give or obtain information, resolve problems, and determine appropriate course of action.
- Assists the Development Department at events and organization-wide occasions as needed.
- The ability to complete all documentation legibly, accurately, and thoroughly.
- Maintains the confidentiality of donors, departments, and the organization at all times.
- Demonstrates effective working relationships through tact, sound judgement, and positive attitude when relating to internal and external employees, supervisors, and the public.
- Contributes to the planning and implementation of the strategic plan regarding activities relating to grants and other club fundraising efforts.
- Works to develop strategic insight into positioning for new funding opportunities, departmental or organization initiatives.
- Leads cross departmental team whom all have a role in the grant writing and reporting efforts.
- Reports to Senior Director of Development and Corporate Relations.
- Maintain close daily contact with Development staff; work with accounting, staff to correctly input all donations; works with Program staff when they assist in grants; works closely with the Director of Grants Program Administration and Compliance on all compliance reporting.
- Maintain contact with appropriate funders, grantors, Board members as it relates to potential funding.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, communications, or related field preferred; administrative experience required, including computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel. At least 3 years’ experience working in a non-profit agency.
- Must have the ability to read, analyze, and interpret professional journals or technical procedures; the ability to produce and type reports and business correspondence, the ability to effectively communicate in English.
- Superb written and verbal communication skills are essential. Requires familiarity with effective writing techniques, researching and obtaining proposals and updates for Foundations and other funders. Research various materials with determined effort. Present information in a clear and timely manner. Meet all stated deadlines. Communicate effectively with people at different organizational levels. Takes responsibility for and is committed to work; completes assignments on time. Work continuously on a job if there is a reasonable expectation of success; is not easily discouraged; understands and identifies the basic goals and values of the organization.
Majority of the work will be conducted in an office setting with out of office time as needed.
Salary: $65,000-$70,000 / year
Benefits: Medical/Dental/Vision/PTO/Life Ins/Pension Plan/ and more…